Representing professional services employers—ranging from local, national and international law firms, accounting firms, staffing organizations and professional employer organizations (PEOs), to architectural, engineering and design firms and beyond—we are keenly aware of the labor and employment issues facing these employers on a daily basis. For the PEO industry, we have invested considerable resources to understand and support the industry by providing valuable insight and advice through consistent and in depth participation in the national association, as board members, on critical task forces, publishing legal reviews, presentations at industry events, writing articles for the industry magazine, conducting national teleconferences and more.
Jackson Lewis provides advice and counsel on the entire array of workplace law issues facing professional services employers on a day-to-day basis. Some of the services we provide include:
- Defending the entire range of workplace law-related litigation, including discrimination, harassment, retaliation and related tort claims;
- Providing labor relations advice and counsel, including representation during union bargaining;
- Defending class and collective actions across the U.S. and assisting with preventive measures such as company-wide audits to ensure consistent implementation of pay and promotion policies;
- Performing nationwide reviews of overtime exemption issues;
- Advising on implementing alternative dispute resolution programs and representing clients when plaintiffs challenge these programs in court, including challenges to the enforceability of class action waivers;
- Creating and reviewing multistate handbooks;
- Providing strategic advice and counsel with respect to restructurings and ongoing reductions-in-force;
- Advising on the design of pension, profit sharing, 401(k) and other types of retirement, compensation and welfare benefit plans;
- Counseling on restrictive covenants in employment agreements, employee raiding claims, unfair competition claims and other employment-related business torts;
- Advising on compliance with privacy and data security mandates across the country, including compliance with HIPAA privacy laws; and
- Implementing integrated disability management systems and advising on corporate wellness programs.
With respect to PEOs specifically, Jackson Lewis has been a member of and supported the National Association of Professional Employer Organizations (NAPEO) for a number of years, and a Jackson Lewis attorney has been a member of the association's Legal Advisory Council for over a decade including Chairperson of the Council. Our attorneys have written Legal Reviews for NAPEO on issues of employer status, retaliation, EEO compliance, multistate issues and the FMLA. Our attorneys have also conducted National Teleconferences for NAPEO members on a variety of issues including FMLA, immigration, data security and client service agreement issues. In addition, our attorneys have been the keynote speakers at several of NAPEO's annual Legal and Legislative Conferences in Washington, D.C.