Leonora “Lenny” M. Schloss is a Shareholder in the Los Angeles, California office of Jackson Lewis P.C. Ms. Schloss specializes in wage/hour and leaves of absence issues, advises and trains employers on preventative measures, drafts policies and agreements, conducts wage/hour classification audits and training, and handles employment investigations.
Ms. Schloss has substantial experience litigating single plaintiff and class action discrimination, harassment, retaliation, wrongful termination, and wage/hour cases in state and federal courts and agencies. She also represents employers in litigation stemming from employee non-competition agreements and trade secret misappropriation matters. In addition to her trial experience, Ms. Schloss has successfully handled several union arbitration hearings.
Ms. Schloss is admitted to practice in the states of California (1989) and Texas (1987). She is admitted to practice before the U.S. Supreme Court (2004) and in all district courts of California. She is a member of the State Bar of California, the Los Angeles County Bar Association (Labor & Employment Section), and the Texas Bar Association.
Ms. Schloss serves as a Board Member for the Los Angeles County Bar Foundation. In addition, she is a member of Phi Beta Kappa and is recognized in Who’s Who of American Women.
Ms. Schloss received her J.D. (1987) from Columbia University School of Law, where she was a finalist in the Harlan Fiske Stone Moot Court Competition. She received her A.B., summa cum laude, from St. Louis University (1984).
Healthcare; technology; hospitality; nutrition; construction; transportation; aviation and aerospace; fashion; and insurance.
Ms. Schloss is a frequent speaker at human resources and other organizations on various employment related topics.
- “Blunders and Bloopers: Practical Reminders About Handbook Policies,” HR Star Conference (March 19, 2014).
- “Relieving Acronym Anxiety and Demystifying Leaves,” PIHRA District 6 (March 13, 2014).
- “You Don’t Have to be Sherlock Holmes to Figure Out Leaves of Absence,” HR Star Conference (February 29, 2012).
- “Eat, Rest, Get Paid. California Wage/Hour Update,” PIHRA District 5 (September 21, 2011).
- “Navigating the Maze of Medical Leave Laws,” HR Star Conference (March 30, 2011).
- “FMLA/CFRA Master Class,” M. Lee Smith Publishers LLC, Glendale, CA (October 21, 2010).
- "When California and Federal Leave Laws Collide,” HR Star Conference (2010).
- “Gimme a Break,” PIHRA, Palm Springs, CA (September 16, 2009).
- “When State and Federal Laws Collide,” PIHRA, Temecula, CA (July 21, 2009).
- “Leave of Absence,” PIHRA, Hawthorne, CA (June 11, 2009).
- “FMLA/CFRA Master Class,” M. Lee Smith Publishers LLC, Glendale, CA (May 27, 2009).
- “Wage & Hour Master Class,” M. Lee Smith Publisher LLC, Costa Mesa, CA (March 18, 2009) and Glendale, CA (March 17, 2009).
- “Layoffs: The New Economic Reality,” PIHRA Legal Update Conference, Woodland Hills, CA (January 15, 2009) and Garden Grove, CA (January 13, 2009).
- “Wage/Hour: Ten Things You Absolutely Must Know,” PIHRA Annual Conference & Exhibition, Long Beach, CA (October 7, 2008).
- “Calculating Family Leave Absences,” PIHRA Annual Conference & Exhibition, Long Beach, CA (October 7, 2008).
- Co-author, “Layoffs: The New Economic Reality,” Employee Relations Law Journal, Autumn 2009.
- Co-author, “An Ounce of Prevention: Avoiding Wage-and-Hour Claims,” Employment Litigation Reporter, April 21, 2009.
- “Watch Your Back: Smart Hiring and Proper Background Checks,” Employee Relations Law Journal, Vol. 34, No. 3, Winter 2008.
- “Legal Expert Discusses Thorny Wage and Hour Disputes,” (Lenny was interviewed and discussed the state of wage and hour law in California), California Executive, October 30, 2007.
- Co-author, “Don’t Trash That Paper,” (Regarding employers’ obligations to maintain documents), The Recorder, August 29, 2007.
- Co-author, “Assessing the Amended Labor Code Private Attorneys General Act”, Los Angeles Lawyer, February 2006.
- “The Federal Enclave Doctrine”, Briefing Papers, July 2000.
- Armenta et al v. Osmose, Inc., 135 Cal. App. 4th 314; 37 Cal. Rptr 3d 460 (2006).
- Walter H. Taylor v. Lockheed Martin Corporation, 113 Cal. App. 4th 380; 6 Cal. Rptr. 3d 358 (2003).
- Walter H. Taylor v. Lockheed Martin Corp., et al., 78 Cal. App. 4th 472, 92 Cal. Rptr. 2d 873 (2000).
- Kalivas v. Barry Control Systems, 49 Cal. App. 4th 1152; 57 Cal. Rptr. 2d 200 (1996).
- Local 21, International Federation of Professional and Technical Engineers, AFL-CIO v. Thornton C. Bunch, Jr., Waldemar Rojas, 40 Cal. App. 4th 670, 46 Cal. Rptr. 2d 813 (1995).