Ted N. Kazaglis is a Shareholder in the Raleigh, North Carolina, office of Jackson Lewis P.C. He handles a range of employment law issues with a particular focus on the alternative staffing industries, including professional employer organizations and temporary staffing companies.
Mr. Kazaglis assists clients in the staffing industries to define their relationship with their customers. He also defends such clients against legal claims, including those that involve joint employer issues.
Beyond his involvement in the staffing industries, Mr. Kazaglis has extensive experience in counseling and defending employers on discrimination claims. He also handles a wide range of employment litigation. He has also been involved in traditional labor law matters, including collective bargaining negotiations and labor arbitrations.
Prior to joining Jackson Lewis, Mr. Kazaglis was Of Counsel in the law firm of Kastner Westman & Wilkins, LLC in Akron, Ohio. Mr. Kazaglis was also formerly a member of Hammond & Kazaglis, Co. LPA which concentrated on representing professional employer organizations.
For over twenty years, Mr. Kazaglis has represented professional employer organizations throughout the United States focusing on a wide array of issues affecting the co-employment relationship. Reflecting his involvement in the staffing industries, Mr. Kazaglis is an active member of the National Association of Professional Employer Organizations (“NAPEO”). He is regularly published in the PEO Insider, the premier publication directed specifically to the PEO industry. Mr. Kazaglis has also been a featured speaker at several NAPEO Legal and Legislative Conferences and NAPEO annual national conferences. Mr. Kazaglis has published Legal Reviews specific to the PEO industry.
Honors and Recognitions
Professional Associations and Activities
- Employer Services Assurance Corporation (entity that accredits PEOs), Former Board Member
- Michigan State Bar Association
- National Association of Professional Employer Organizations (NAPEO), Chair of Legal Advisory Council
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- "PEOs and Federal Contractors," PEO Insider (May 2005) [Author]
- "Sharing Industry Information Has its Limits: Protecting Your Proprietary and Confidential Information," PEO Insider (April 2005) [Author]
- "Employment Agreements: Defining the Employment Relationship," PEO Insider (November 2004) [Author]
- "Worksite Employee Discrimination and Harassment Training: A key device to minimizing liability - Should I trust the client to do it?" PEO Insider (June/July 2004) [Author]
- "Avoid Paying for Your Client’s Mistakes, Don’t you have enough of your own problems?" PEO Insider (March 2004) [Author]
- "Worksite Safety and the PEO Contract, Understanding the Division of Responsibility for Safety Between the PEO and the Client," PEO Insider (November 2003) [Author]
- "Employment Risk Management Tool #1: Employee Handbooks, It’s Not a Vaccine for Litigation but Neither is Your Lawyer!" PEO Insider (May 2003) [Author]
- "Protect Your PEO in Your CSA!" PEO Insider (March 2003) [Author]
- "Discrimination - A Family Matter, An Employee’s Family Responsibilities are not Fair Game in Employment Decisions," PEO Insider (February 2003) [Author]
- "PEO Multi-State Expansion: Time for a Contract Review," PEO Insider (November 2002) [Author]
- "Defining Disabilities: What a Pain in the Neck," ProEmp Journal (April 2002) [Author]
- "Two’s Company, and so is Three: A Federal Court Maintains that Nonunion Employees May be Permitted to Have a Fellow Employee Present at Investigatory Meetings," ProEmp Journal (March 2002) [Author]
- "Hands Free Not Without Risk: The Need for All Kinds of Employers to Have a Policy Dictating Cell Phone Usage to Manage Potential Lawsuits is Increasing," ProEmp Journal (January 2002) [Author]
- "After the Attacks: A Workforce on Call," ProEmp Journal (December 2001) [Author]
- "To Be Independent or Not: Can True Independent Contractors Become Employees?" ProEmp Journal (November 2001) [Author]
- "Medical Privacy Guidelines: Professional Employer Outsourcers Need to Know of the Guides Established to Protect the Privacy of Employees’ Health Information," ProEmp Journal (October 2001) [Author]
- "Dreaming of a Single Wage Base: So What’s the Real Deal? Can PEOs Use a Single Wage Base for Employment Tax Purposes or Not?" ProEmp Journal (May 2001) [Author]
- "Web-xpectations: Can your PEO Really Live up to the Hype of your Web Site?" PEO Insider (May 2001) [Author]
- "Categorical Contracts, The importance of your client services agreement’s consistency with the services you provide- your category PEO- is paramount," ProEmp Journal (February 2000) [Author]
- "Share the Wealth- and the Responsibility, Consistency Between Client Service Contracts and Employee Handbooks," PEO Insider (September 1999) [Author]
- "Well, this is Another Fine Mess...FASB’s interpretation of accounting for stock compensation in a co-employment relationship leaves a lot to be desired for PEOs, representing a real misunderstanding of their industry," ProEmp Journal (April 1999) [Author]
- "The Successorship Question, Do the Benefits Outweigh the Risks," PEO Insider (March 1999) [Author]
- "Flexible Staffing Trends and Legal Issues in the Emerging Workplace, The Labor Lawyer," American Bar Association (1994) [Contributing Author]
- "Federal Income Tax Developments: 1985," University of Akron Tax Journal, 3 (1986) [Co-Author]