Thomas Mead Santoro is a Principal in the Miami, Florida, office of Jackson Lewis P.C. He has over 30 years of experience in employment law.
Mr. Santoro has argued successfully a Title VII jurisdiction matter in a religious discrimination case before the U.S. Supreme Court and has tried and litigated all manner of employment disputes in Federal and State Courts and administrative agencies. He is certified by the Florida Supreme Court as an Appellate and Circuit Mediator. He has tried and litigated federal discrimination cases involving most protected class areas and retaliation, handled LMRA cases, and tried disciplinary and contract arbitrations under private sector and public sector labor union contracts and administrative rules. He has also served as a federal and state court arbitrator.
He has been counsel in NLRB ULP’s, and administrative investigations conducted by the EEOC, DOL, and Dept. of Ed.’s OCR under Title VII, Title IX, ADA, FLSA, FMLA, ADEA, and OWBPA. In addition to court trials, he has tried cases before FINRA, New York State’s DHR, and defended investigations by New York City’s HRC, Florida’s FHRC, and Florida’s AWI and Department of Revenue. He has presented in-house and outside at HR and employment programs, and served as a member on a variety of committees addressing HR issues.
From 1997-2002, Mr. Santoro served as General Counsel at Florida International University. From 1981-1997, he served as Deputy University Counsel at Cornell University and as an Assistant Counsel for the State University of New York and a New York State Assistant Attorney General.
Honors and Recognitions
- American Lawyer Media, Top Rated Lawyer in Labor & Employment (2013)
Professional Associations and Activities
- Federal Bar Association
- Florida State Bar Association
- Cuban-American Bar Association
- Dade County Bar Association
- National Association of College and University Attorneys
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy (NITA), Graduate
- NITA Deposition Skills Program, Faculty Member (1989-present)
- New York State Bar Association
- Dade County Bar Association, Director (2009-2013)
- Coconut Grove Chamber of Commerce, Director (2009-2011)
- Florida International University College of Law, Member of Dean's Advisory Council
- Albany Law School of Union University, Trustee Emeritus
- Computers Under Attack: Intruders, Worms and Viruses. ACM Press, 1990. [Contributing Author]