Collin O’Connor Udell is Of Counsel in the Hartford, Connecticut, office of Jackson Lewis P.C. Her practice focuses on United States Supreme Court litigation and on complex or novel issues arising in other federal appeals. She has taken a central role in 40 cases before the United States Supreme Court, some of which have been widely acknowledged as among the most important cases of the last few terms. Ms. Udell received an Amicus Service Award in 2016 from the International Municipal Lawyers Association for the amicus curiae brief she filed with the U.S. Supreme Court in Heffernan v. City of Paterson.
In addition to her Supreme Court experience, Ms. Udell has represented clients in a wide variety of cases in the federal courts of appeals, including matters involving statutory construction and labor and employment.
Ms. Udell has significant clerkship experience, having clerked on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit for the Honorable Bruce M. Selya; the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit for the Honorable José A. Cabranes; and the U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut for the Honorable Robert N. Chatigny.
As a member of the Supreme Court Committee of the National Association of Women Lawyers (NAWL), Ms. Udell is participating in an extensive evaluation of the qualifications and background of the Honorable Neil McGill Gorsuch, President Trump’s nominee to the U.S. Supreme Court, and last year participated in a similar evaluation of the Honorable Merrick Garland, President Obama’s nominee to the U.S. Supreme Court. She also serves on NAWL’s Amicus Committee and on the U.S. Chamber Litigation Center’s Labor & Employment Litigation Advisory Committee, advising both groups on what cases warrant filing an amicus brief in the U.S. Supreme Court and the federal Courts of Appeals.
During her studies at the University of Connecticut School of Law, Ms. Udell was Editor-in-Chief of the Connecticut Law Review and the recipient of ten academic awards, including the William F. Starr Fellowship Award for Outstanding Scholarship, the University of Connecticut Law School Foundation Award for Exceptional Achievement in Scholarship, two West Publishing Company Awards for Outstanding Overall Scholastic Achievement, two West Publishing Company Corpus Juris Secundum Awards in Contracts and Criminal Law, and four CALI Excellence for the Future Awards in Contracts, Criminal Law, Jurisprudence, and Statutory Interpretation.
Ms. Udell has taught criminal law at the University of Connecticut School of Law.
Honors and Recognitions
Professional Associations and Activities
- American Bar Association Council for Appellate Lawyers
- Connecticut Bar Association
- National Association of Women Lawyers (Amicus Committee; Supreme Court Committee; Membership Committee)
- University of Connecticut School of Law Alumni Association (Board of Directors; Nominating Committee Chair)
- U.S. Chamber Litigation Center (U.S. Chamber of Commerce): Labor & Employment Advisory Committee
Pro Bono and Community Involvement
- Pro Bono Panel for the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- Pro Bono List United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
Commentary and Interviews
- Wolters Kluwer, Trump’s High Court Nominee Sparks Sharp Controversy, Employment Law Daily Wrap Up (February 2, 2017)
- Corky Siemaszko, As a Student, SCOTUS Nominee Gorsuch Supported Gays and Opposed Campus Military Recruiters, NBC News (February 1, 2017)
- Allen Smith, In Focus: Trump's Supreme Court Nominee Has Favored Employers in Past Decisions, Society for Human Resource Management (February 1, 2017)
- Jonathan Handel, Hollywood Guilds Silent on Supreme Court Nominee Gorsuch But Management Lawyers Happy, The Hollywood Reporter (January 31, 2017)
- Marcia Coyle, Gorsuch, Drawing Scalia Comparisons, Comes Under Microscope, National Law Journal (January 31, 2017)
- Law360, High Court Term Ends Without Employment Blockbusters (June 28, 2016)
- Wolters Kluwer, 2015 Review—2016 Forecast: High Court Rulings and Beyond, Labor & Employment Law Special Briefing (February 2016)
- CBS Radio News, interviewed by Barry Bagnato to discuss implications of the case heard by the U.S. Supreme Court in Hefffernon v. Paterson (January 19, 2016)
- Law360, Workers Edge Out Employers at SCOTUS This Term (June 17, 2015)
- Wolters Kluwer, Supreme Court: 2014 Review—2015 Preview, Labor & Employment Special Briefing (January 2015)
- Supreme Court Review CLE Webinar with Carter Phillips and Adam Liptak, State and Local Legal Center and the International Municipal Lawyers Association, Washington, DC (July 18, 2014)
- “Is Your Volunteer Really an Employee?” Hartford Business Journal (May 11, 2015) [Co-Author]
- “Parsing ERISA’s Equitable Remedies Provision (Montanile v. Board of Trustees),” Connecticut Law Tribune (April 27, 2015) [Author]
- “U.S. Supreme Court Clarifies First Amendment Speech Rights of Government Employees,” The National Law Review (2015), available at http://www.natlawreview.com/article/us-supreme-court-clarifies-first-amendment-speech-rights-government-employees [Author]
- “Employment and Immigration Law: Court Considers Whether Severance Pay Is Taxable (United States v. Quality Stores),” Connecticut Law Tribune (Jan. 23, 2014) [Author]
- “Dissecting Stern v. Marshall,” Law360 (July 7, 2011) [Co-Author]
- "Parading the Saurian Tail: Projection, Jung, and the Law," Ariz. L. Rev. Vol. 42 (2000) [Author]
- "Intimate Association: Resurrecting a Hybrid Right," Texas J. Women & L. Vol. 7 (1998) [Author], cited in Adler v. Pataki, 185 F.3d 35, 42 (2d Cir. 1999) (Newman, J.)
- "Miller v. Albright: Plenary Power, Equal Protection, and the Rights of an Alien Love Child," Geo. Immig. L.J. Vol. 12 (1998) [Author], cited in Herrera-Inirio v. INS, 208 F.3d 299 (1st Cir. 2000)
- "Stalking the Wild Lacuna: Communication, Cognition, and Contingency," Law & Ineq. J. Vol. 16 (1998) [Author]
- "Same-Sex Sexual Harassment: Cutting the Gordian Knot" Cardozo Women’s L.J. Vol. 4 (1998) [Author]
- "Signaling a New Direction in Gender Classification Scrutiny: United States v. Virginia" Conn. L. Rev. Vol. 29 (1996) [Author]
Speeches and Presentations
- “Supreme Court Round-Up,” 2016 Jackson Lewis Connecticut Labor & Employment Law Conference (Hartford, CT, June 2016)
- “A Giant Sleeps: The Passing of Justice Scalia and Ramifications for the Labor and Employment Defense Space,” Association of Corporate Counsel (Legal Quick Hit Webinar, April 2016)
- “Supreme Court Update,” 2015 Jackson Lewis Hartford Labor & Employment Law Conference (Cromwell, CT, June 2015)
- “Supreme Court Sampler,” 2014 Jackson Lewis Women’s Employment Law Conference (New York, NY, November 2014)
- “Supreme Court Review CLE Webinar with Carter Phillips and Adam Liptak,” State and Local Legal Center and the International Municipal Lawyers Association (Washington, DC, July 2014)
- “Supreme Court Round-Up,” 2014 Jackson Lewis Connecticut Labor & Employment Law Conference (Hartford, CT, June 2014)
- "Supreme Court Round-Up,” 2014 Jackson Lewis Boston Labor & Employment Law Conference (Boston, MA, May 2014)
- “Supreme Court Round-Up,” 2014 Jackson Lewis Government Contractor Symposium (Resdon, VA, May 2014)
- "Supreme Court Round-Up,” 2014 Jackson Lewis Government Contractor Symposium (Bethesda, MD, April 2014)