Devand "Dave" A. Sukhdeo is a Shareholder in the Miami, Florida, office of Jackson Lewis P.C. His established practice in labor and employment has encompassed representation of varied employers, ranging in size from small to international, in manufacturing, retail, media, health care, service, finance, construction, professional sports team and insurance industries.
Mr. Sukhdeo regularly handles simple, complex and multiple party litigation. His expertise includes extensive litigation in the areas of unfair competition, trade secret violations, employment discrimination, wage and hour violations, disability access disputes and employee benefits/ERISA disputes. Mr. Sukhdeo has also represented and advised employers concerning unfair labor practice investigations and proceedings, union representation elections and CBA negotiations. Mr. Sukhdeo has gained vast experience in alternative dispute resolution and negotiation strategies through his work in these areas.
Apart from his litigation practice, Mr. Sukhdeo counsels employers on strategies for minimizing potential litigation and timely planning for the defense of unavoidable litigation. He regularly advises employers on day-to-day personnel matters and practices, with keen understanding of the business and legal factors that must be weighed in making human resources decisions. Mr. Sukhdeo specifically assists employers in such matters as reductions in force (RIFs), plant closings, employee termination/discipline, applicant background checks, employee handbooks, workplace violence and implementing effective personnel policies. He also provides in-house training on labor and employment law topics for both management and non-management employees. In addition, separation and severance agreements designed to protect employers from future litigation from former employees are an important aspect of his practice.
While attending New York University School of Law, he was Associate Editor of the Journal of Law and Social Change.
Honors and Recognitions
- Florida Trend Magazine, "Florida Legal Elite"
- South Florida Business Journal, "Best Lawyers in South Florida"
Professional Associations and Activities
- American Bar Association
- Black Lawyer’s Association
- Caribbean Lawyer’s Association
- Florida Bar Association
- "Effective Strategies on Managing SARS and Other Communicable Illnesses in the Workplace," The EEOC Advisory Committee for Employees (January 2005) [Author]
- "An Employer's Overlapping Obligations Under the FMLA, the ADA and Workers' Compensation Statutes," Lorman Educational Services (January 2002) [Author]
- "Employers 'Obligations with Regard to Military Leave," The Florida Bar Continuing Legal Education Committee (January 2001) [Author]
- "Employment Issues Post 9/11 2001," The EEOC Advisory Committee for Employers (January 2001) [Author]