Heath A. Havey is an Associate in the Sacramento, California, office of Jackson Lewis P.C. He exclusively represents management in workplace law and related litigation.
Mr. Havey also defends management in statewide class action litigation. Mr. Havey has special expertise in advising multinational companies in labor and employment matters related to Japan and United States operations, including compliance, transactional matters, mass employment mergers and acquisitions, cross-border litigation, transnational contracts, globalization, and proactive employment advice and counsel. Mr. Havey is fluent in Japanese and has a comprehensive understanding of Japanese employment practices and laws.
He previously worked in the Tokyo and San Diego offices of a large, international law firm as an international labor and employment lawyer, and as a domestic labor and employment litigator in Las Vegas.
While residing in Japan, Mr. Havey attained the distinguished qualification of receiving a license to practice as a Registered Foreign Lawyer in Japan (Gaikokuho Jimu Bengoshi) and was a member of the Japan Bar Association (Nichibenren).
He received a grant for, and participated in, an international legal studies program in Tokyo, Japan in 1997, sponsored by Temple Law School. From 2003 to 2005, Mr. Havey was an adjunct professor of law at Temple Law School’s Tokyo campus, where he taught comparative Japan and U.S. labor and employment law, international contract law, and civil procedure.
Honors and Recognitions
Professional Associations and Activities
- American Bar Association
- Clark County Bar Association
- State Bar of California
- State Bar of Nevada
- Supreme Court Historical Society
- Licensed as a Foreign Lawyer in Japan (Gaikokuho Jimu Bengoshi)
- Member of Nichibenren (2003-2005)
- Enjin no Roman (Dunbar International, 1995) [Co-Translator]
- International Law for CEOs: Lessons from Leading International Lawyers (ExecSense, 2013) [Co-Author]
- "Japan Workplace Laws," Global HR News (January 2009) [Author]
- "Amendments to Japan's Industrial Safety and Health Laws," International Law Office (2006) [Co-Author]
- "Worldwide Guide to Japan Termination Employment Discrimination and Workplace Harassment Laws," Global Labour, Employment & Employee Benefits (2005) [Co-Author]
- "Overview of Japan Employment Law," Global Employer (2005) [Co-Author]
- "Japan's New Whistleblower Protection Law," Law Office (2005) [Co-Author]
- "Japan Childcare Leave and Family Care Leave Law," International Law Office (2005) [Co-Author]
- "Japan Supreme Court Rules Stock Options are "Wages," International Law Office (2005) [Co-Author]
- "Labor Trial Law to Come Into Effect Next Year," International Law Office (2005) [Co-Author]
- "Japanese Labor Law Reforms," Global Employer (2004) [Co-Author]
- "Japan's Employee Delegation Law," Law at Work (2004) [Co-Author]
- "New Employer Guidelines on Personal Information," International Law Office (2004) [Co-Author]
- "New Obligations Regarding Temporary Employees," International Law Office (2004) [Co-Author]
- "Japan's Worker Dispatch Law," Law at Work (2004) [Co-Author]