Paul V. Kelly is a Principal in the Boston, Massachusetts, office of Jackson Lewis P.C. He has extensive experience in white collar criminal defense, internal investigations, complex civil litigation and crisis management. Mr. Kelly is the firm’s White Collar and Government Enforcement Practice Group Leader. A former sports industry executive, he is also one of the firm’s Collegiate and Professional Sports Practice Group Leaders.
Criminal Law and White Collar Experience
Mr. Kelly has substantial trial experience in both state and federal courts. He was an Assistant U.S. Attorney for the District of Massachusetts for 10 years (1987-1996) during which time he prosecuted a wide array of federal criminal violations, including racketeering, fraud, corruption, money laundering and murder. Upon leaving the Department of Justice, he focused his practice on defending companies, business executives and others being investigated or prosecuted for the alleged commission of criminal offenses. Included among the matters he handled successfully are workplace enforcement actions, bid-rigging and fraud charges brought against defense contractors, alleged securities fraud and other financial crimes by corporate executives, fraud offenses brought against health care providers, pharmaceutical companies, and their employees, and alleged violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
While in private practice, Mr. Kelly has had significant experience in conducting internal investigations for companies, insurers, colleges and universities, governmental entities and other clients. By way of example:
• He conducted an extensive internal investigation on behalf of a private security company that screened passengers on two of the doomed flights in connection with the 9/11 terrorist attacks, to determine whether employees of the company engaged in any criminal, reckless or negligent conduct.
• He served as a special prosecutor/legal advisor to the Attorney General of Trinidad and Tobago and conducted a series of criminal investigations of suspected bribery, bid-rigging and other corrupt activities by former government officials and private parties within that country. Evidence developed resulted in criminal charges being laid in multiple cases.
• He has conducted several internal investigations for companies in the construction, financial services, technology, health care and hospitality industries involving alleged wrongdoing by company employees, subcontractors and outside vendors. These matters have involved acts of fraud, embezzlement, payment or receipt of bribes and kickbacks, theft of trade secrets and proprietary data, and falsification of records.
• He represented a billionaire entrepreneur and investigated receipt of extortionate threats and harassment by a third party/stalker. Upon development of sufficient evidence, he convinced federal authorities to pursue criminal charges and against the offender. When the offender fled the country, he successfully tracked down the fugitive and helped to convince authorities in the host country to extradite the fugitive back to the United States to face prosecution.
Civil Litigation Experience
Mr. Kelly also has significant experience as a civil litigator.
- Successfully represented a municipality and several police officials in a civil rights action
- Successfully defended a prominent attorney charged with ethics violations
- Successfully argued the appeal of a class action lawsuit alleging violations of the state wiretap statute by a telecommunications company before the Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts
- Successfully represented professional athletes in civil, criminal and administrative proceedings
Collegiate and Professional Sports Experience
In addition to his background as a trial attorney, Mr. Kelly has management and legal experience within collegiate and professional sports. He served as Executive Director of the National Hockey League Players Association, representing the 740 players of the NHL. He understands collective bargaining, salary cap management, franchise acquisition and location, player discipline, health and safety, drug testing, equipment issues, and the grievance and arbitration process. Upon leaving the NHL, Mr. Kelly established and thereafter served as Executive Director of College Hockey, Inc., the recruiting and promotional arm of NCAA Division I men’s hockey. Mr. Kelly has substantial working knowledge of NCAA bylaws and regulations, enforcement proceedings, and the challenges faced by collegiate athletic programs in such areas as recruiting, regulatory compliance, conference alignment and student-athlete behavior. He has served as a Board member of the Hockey Hall of Fame and a member of the International Council of USA Hockey.
Honors and Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America
- The Hockey News, 50 most influential people in the sport of hockey (2007-2011)
- U.S. Department of Justice, Director's Award for Superior Performance (1992)
Professional Associations and Activities
- American Bar Association
- Boston Bar Association
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- National Association of College and University Attorneys
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Sports Lawyers Association