Victor P. Montoya is a Principal and the Office Litigation Manager in the Albuquerque, New Mexico, office of Jackson Lewis P.C. He is a Certified Employment and Labor Law Specialist by the New Mexico State Bar's Board of Legal Specialization.
Mr. Montoya’s practice focuses on advising employers and representing them in litigation regarding federal and state laws related to employment, unemployment, wage, disability, and civil rights issues, including Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, the ADA, the ADEA, the FLSA, the FMLA, USERRA, the New Mexico Human Rights Act, and the New Mexico Minimum Wage Act. Mr. Montoya advises employers regarding employment practices and policies, handbooks, hiring, terminations, trade secrets, and employment contracts. Mr. Montoya also practices alternative dispute resolution and received his mediator certification from the University of New Mexico, School of Law in 1999.
While attending law school, he served as Managing Editor of the U.C. Davis Law Review.
Honors and Recognitions
Professional Associations and Activities
- Human Resource Association of New Mexico
- New Mexico Bar Association
- New Mexico Defense Lawyers
- New Mexico State Bar, Employment & Labor Law Section Board of Directors Member and Past Chair (2012)
- Society for Human Resource Management
Speeches and Presentations
- “Supreme Court Roundup,” HMRA Rapid Fire Update (Albuquerque, NM, July 24, 2015)
- “New Mexico State Law Update,” 2015 Employment and Labor Law Institute (Albuquerque, NM, May 28, 2015)
- “Employment Law 101,” Small Business Legal Workshop, State Bar of New Mexico (Albuquerque, NM, November 19, 2014)
- “State Employment Law and Legislative Update,” 2014 Employment and Labor Law Institute (Albuquerque, NM, October 3, 2014)
- “What’s Up With GINA,” 2014 New Mexico Labor and Employment Law Conference (Albuquerque, NM, May 29, 2014)
- "Workplace Investigations 101," 2013 New Mexico Labor and Employment Law Conference (Albuquerque, NM, May 30, 2013)
- "Bracing for Your Next Wage & Hour Claim," HRMA's Annual SHRM Foundation Fundraising Event and Program (Albuquerque, NM, July 27, 2012)
- "'ONYD' (Oh No, You Didn't!): Youth in the Workplace and the Law," 2012 New Mexico State Bar Annual Meeting (Albuquerque, NM, July 13, 2012)
- "Screening Job Applicants Without Breaking the Law," 2012 New Mexico Labor and Employment Law Conference (Albuquerque, NM, May 24, 2012)
- "New Mexico State Employment Law Update," 2011 Employment and Labor Law Institute (Albuquerque, NM, October 7, 2011)
- "'MySpace' or Your Space: Social Networking in the Workplace," Improving the Human Resource Professional/Attorney Relationship sponsored by New Mexico State Bar and HRMA of New Mexico (Albuquerque, NM, April 15, 2011)