Monique Warren is a principal in the White Plains, New York, office of Jackson Lewis P.C. She counsels employers on employee benefits compliance and administrative matters, drafts plan documents and employee communication materials, and represents employers to government agencies.
Monique's expertise includes health and welfare plans as well as retirement plans. She has extensive experience helping group health plan sponsors navigate COBRA, HIPAA, and other ERISA and Internal Revenue Code provisions. A significant part of her practice currently focuses on employer issues related to the 2010 health care reform law. She also has extensive experience helping retirement plan sponsors comply with ERISA fiduciary requirements and the Code’s qualification requirements and correcting plan errors under the Department of Labor’s and Internal Revenue Service’s voluntary correction programs.
Prior to joining the firm in 2006, Monique was a member of the employee benefits group of a large Chicago law firm and later maintained her own practice in Illinois, representing employers in employee benefits, employment and employment-related immigration matters.
While attending law school, she was an intern in the tax clinic at Loyola University Chicago School of Law and was a judicial extern for the Honorable Blanche Manning, Federal District Court, Northern District of Illinois. Monique was also on the Dean's List and a member of the Moot Court team.
Monique gained significant practical experience in business prior to becoming an attorney. During the 10 years prior to attending law school, she directed human resource functions in large manufacturing and research enterprises. She was certified as a senior human resource professional by SHRM in 1996.
Monique has provided numerous employee benefit seminars to clients as well as industry and professional associations. Employers frequently applaud her ability to explain complex “legalese” in a way that is of practical use to them.
In addition to authoring many articles, Monique has been interviewed by and quoted in newspapers and periodicals including The Wall Street Journal and edits the firm’s Benefits Law Advisor Blog.
- “Health Care Reform Update: IRS Proposes Regulations on Employer Penalty,” Jackson Lewis Legal Update (January 2013)
- “US Employers Must Prepare for Compliance Under National Health Care Reform Law,” L&E Global Newsletter (December 2012)
- “Employer Focus in Wake of Supreme Court Decision on Health Care Reform,” Benders Labor & Employment Bulletin (July 2012)
- "Nonqualified Deferred Compensation – Selected Compliance Requirements of Code § 409A," Bender's Labor & Employment Bulletin (August 2007)
- "Nonqualified Deferred Compensation Coverage and Carve-outs," Bender’s Labor & Employment Bulletin (July 2007)
- "Nonqualified Deferred Compensation Under Code § 409A and the Final Regulations," Bender’s Labor & Employment Bulletin (June 2007)
- "Code § 409A – Impact on Employers," Hudson Valley Business Journal (2007)
- "HIPAA Privacy Issues in Family Law," DuPage Country Bar Association Brief (November 2004)
- "HIPAA - Here We Go Again," DCBA Brief, Journal of the DuPage County Bar Association (November 2004)