Ellison F. McCoy is the office managing principal of the Greenville, South Carolina, office of Jackson Lewis P.C. He is engaged exclusively in the practice of employment law on behalf of management.
Ellison has represented employers in litigation matters before state and federal administrative agencies and various state and federal trial and appellate courts. During his legal career, Ellison has handled a wide-variety of employment matters involving claims such as discrimination based on race, sex, national origin, age and disability; sexual and racial harassment; wrongful discharge; retaliation; breach of contract; defamation; covenants not to compete and trade secret violations; and violations of the Family Medical Leave Act. In addition, he has extensive experience counseling clients on compliance issues and litigation avoidance strategies and regularly conducts management training programs on various employment-related topics. Ellison devotes a significant amount of his practice to assisting employers with disability practice management, particularly including issues arising under the Americans with Disabilities Act and Family and Medical Leave Act.
Prior to joining Jackson Lewis in August 2004, Ellison spent ten years practicing management-side employment law with a regional labor and employment law firm. Ellison lives in Greenville with his wife, Jeanne, and three children.
Honors and Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America©, "Employment Law - Management" and "Litigation - Labor and Employment" (2016-present)
- Chambers USA, “Labor & Employment” (2017, 2018)
- Greenville Magazine, "Legal Elite of the Upstate" (2013 and 2015)
- Greenville Magazine, "Best & Brightest 35 and Under" (2004)
- Martindale-Hubbell®, "Distinguished® - Peer Rated for High Professional Achievement" (2005-present)
- South Carolina Super Lawyers®, "Super Lawyers" (2016-present)
Pro Bono and Community Involvement
- St. Mary's Catholic School, Advisory Board Member (2007-present)
- St. Mary's Classic & Gala, Chairman (2008-2010)
- Labor and Employment Law for South Carolina Lawyers. 3rd ed. NA: South Carolina Bar, 2007. [Co-Author]
- Labor and Employment Law for South Carolina Lawyers. 2nd ed. SC: South Carolina Bar, 2004. [Co-Author]
- "The Reauthorization of Exon-Florio: A Battle Between Spurring the U.S. Economy and Protecting National Security," Georgia Journal of International and Comparative Law 22.3 (1992) [Author]