Renee Nunley Smith has considerable experience advising and representing national, regional and local businesses as well as institutions of higher education in complex, high stakes employment and civil rights matters. A seasoned litigator, Renee has defended employers before federal and state courts and administrative agencies in virtually all aspects of employment litigation, including harassment, discrimination, whistleblower and retaliation, wage and hour, breach of contract and wrongful termination. She has extensive experience conducting internal investigations, including in matters where harassment and other forms of discrimination are at issue.
As a legal counselor, Renee is regularly sought after to formulate corporate HR and employment policies and procedures, including compliance training programs for her clients.
Partnering with clients, she guides employers through all phases of the employment cycle, including hiring considerations, restrictive covenants, disciplinary advice, leave management, employment separation and enforcement of restrictive covenant obligations.
Renee’s experience in discrimination matters for private and public educational institutions includes Clery Act and Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) compliance as well as investigation, adjudication and advisory services under Title IX. She is also instrumental in carefully guiding clients in their response to complaints filed with the Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights (OCR).
Renee also counsels public and private clients on traditional labor issues and represents employers in labor negotiations and arbitrations.
Renee is not only an accomplished attorney, but she is an engaged business leader and community advocate. She is the founding principal of a real estate development company focused on providing affordable and workforce housing in underserved communities in Philadelphia.
- Investigated a high-profile sexual harassment investigation for a local municipality
- Defended large transit provider against claims of employment discrimination in federal court
- Represented gaming industry client against claims of discrimination in federal court and before administrative agencies
- Defended supermarket chain against age discrimination claim in state court
- Provided management training to global food company employees on avoiding sexual harassment, discrimination, and retaliation in the workplace
Pro Bono and Community Involvement
- Jack and Jill America, Inc., Montgomery County Chapter, Past Executive Board Member
- The Links, Incorporated, Delaware Valley (PA) Chapter, Executive Board Member and Treasurer
- The Legal Aid Society of Palm Beach County, Florida, Past Board Member
- Philadelphia Diversity Law Group, Past Board Member