Natalie M. Nathanson is a principal in the Miami, Florida, office of Jackson Lewis P.C. She focuses her practice on employee benefits, ERISA plans, and executive compensation matters.
In her legal practice, Natalie offers a depth of experience gained from serving as both in-house counsel and a law firm partner. Natalie understands that clients want easy-to-understand, helpful, real-world advice and counsel. She appreciates that while the issues underlying benefits questions can be complex, employers need responsive service, straightforward advice, and concise risk assessments so they can make time-sensitive business decisions while ensuring they remain in compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
Natalie counsels clients on compliance and administration of qualified retirement plans under ERISA and the Internal Revenue Code and assists with welfare plan issues involving cafeteria plans, health plans, flexible spending accounts, the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and COBRA. She provides training and guidance to Employee Benefits Administrative and Trust Investment Committees regarding their fiduciary duties under ERISA. Natalie also advises on non-qualified deferred compensation arrangements and compliance with Section 409A of the Internal Revenue Code.
Natalie has successfully negotiated with the Internal Revenue Service, including in Employee Plans Compliance Resolution System (EPCRS) filings, Employer Shared Responsibility Penalties under the ACA, and applications for tax-qualification determination letters. She has also represented clients in negotiations with the Department of Labor regarding Voluntary Fiduciary Correction Program filings and incomplete Form 5500 submissions.
In Natalie's day-to-day practice she combines her wide range of experience with ongoing study of the evolving legal landscape to offer clients plain-English advice on a variety of employee benefits issues.
Honors and Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America©, “Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law” (2024)
- Legal 500 USA, “Recommended Attorney” (2018)
Pro Bono and Community Involvement
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society – South Florida Board of Directors
- “Special COVID-19 Health Insurance Enrollment Windows and Waivers,” SHRM (March 2020) [Co-Author]
- “Look Out for ACA Employee-Subsidy Notifications,” SHRM (April 2016) [Author]
- Assigning & Loaning Benefit Plan Money (Thompson Publishing Group, 2008-2010) [Contributing Editor]
- “Navigating the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA),” Hawaii Employers Council (Webinar, May 2021) (Presenter)
- “An Employers Guide to Navigating the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021,” Association of Corporate Counsel (Webinar, April 2021) (Presenter)
- "COVID-19 Guidance: What Employers Need to Know," Central Florida Hotel & Lodging Association (Webinar, May 2020) (Presenter)
- ““Money for Nothing?”: Trends in Employee Benefits,” Jackson Lewis Presents: Labor and Employment’s Greatest Hits 2019, (Miami, FL, October 2019) (Presenter)
- “Benefits Update: Tax Law Changes Impacting Your ERISA Plans,” 2018 Boston Labor and Employment Law Conference (Boston, MA, May, 2018) (Presenter)
- "Common ERISA Conundrums and Practical Solutions," Utah SHRM Annual Conference (Salt Lake City, UT, April 2017) (Presenter)
- “Hot Button Benefits Issues: What You Can do Today to Avoid Litigation Tomorrow,” 2nd Annual Higher Education Law Summit: Hot Topics for Colleges and Universities (American University, Washington, D.C., October, 2017) (Co-Presenter)
- “What You Need to Know about ERISA Plans Right Now,” 9th Annual Colorado Employment Law Summit (Denver, CO, October, 2017) (Presenter)
- “‘You’re Fired!’ – Employment Law in the Age of Trump,” 2017 First Chair Awards Conference & Gala (Chicago, IL, August 2017) (Panelist)
- “Preventing Personal Liability for the Benefit Plan You’re Running,” Chicago Employment Law Symposium (Chicago, IL, July 2017) (Presenter)
- “Employment and Employee Benefits Law Update: The Impact of the Trump Administration for Hawai’i Employers,” (Honolulu, HI, May 2017) (Presenter)
- “What You Need to Know Right Now about Your Employee Benefit Plans,” Women’s Employment Law Conference (New York, NY, December 2016) (Presenter)
- “Advanced Human Resource Law: ACA Subsidy Notices and Appeals: Ensuring Employers Aren’t Penalized,” NBI (Webinar, April 2016) (Panelist)
- "Benefit Plans Must React Now to the US Supreme Court Decisions," Utah SHRM Annual Conference (Salt Lake City, UT, April 2016) (Presenter)
- "ERISA Update," DuPage SHRM Legislative Update (Lisle, IL, March 2016) (Presenter)
- "How Do the Recent US Supreme Court Decisions Impact My Benefit Plans?," Philadelphia Office Annual Labor and Employment Law Symposium (Philadelphia, PA, March 2016) (Presenter)
- "How Do the Recent US Supreme Court Decisions Impact My Benefit Plans?," Chicago Office Half Day Program (Chicago, IL, October 2015) (Presenter)
- "Affordable Care Act Compliance," Home Care Aide Council’s 2015 Spring Conference (Boxborough, MA, June 2015) (Presenter)
- “The Affordable Care Act: How it Impacts your Practice, your Role as Employer, and your Employees,” American Association of Orthopedic Executives (Chicago, IL, April 2015) (Presenter)
- “Health Care Reform Update: What Should Plan Sponsors Do in the Wake of the Supreme Court’s Decision?” Worldwide Employee Benefits Network (Chicago, IL, August 2012) (Moderator)
- “Employee Benefits Issues in Mergers & Acquisitions,” Chicago Bar Association (Chicago, IL, June 2011) (Presenter)
- “Qualified Domestic Relations Orders and Loans From Defined Contribution and Defined Benefit Plans," Worldwide Employee Benefits Network (Chicago, IL, May 2010) (Co-presenter)
- “Employee Benefits Considerations in Buying and Selling a Business,” Chicago Bar Association (Chicago, IL, February 2008) (Presenter)
Accounting and Finance
Accounting and Finance