D. Paul Holdsworth is an associate in the Richmond, Virginia, office of Jackson Lewis P.C. His practice focuses on representing employers in workplace law matters, including preventive advice and counseling.
Paul defends employers in employment litigation before state and federal courts and agencies involving claims of harassment and discrimination on the basis of race, gender, religion, national origin, disability, pregnancy, as well as advising and litigating other matters arising under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Family Medical Leave Act, the Fair Labor Standards Act, and other matters arising under state or common law.
While attending law school, Paul was a member of the University of Richmond Law Review and served as editor-in-chief. Paul also received the T.C. Williams Law School Scholarship Award, given to the student with the greatest overall contribution to legal scholarship. After graduating from the University of Richmond School of Law, Paul clerked for the judges of the 23rd Judicial Circuit of Virginia.
Honors and Recognitions
- Virginia Super Lawyers®, "Rising Stars" (2023)
- The Best Lawyers in America©, "Ones to Watch: Labor and Employment Law - Management" and "Ones to Watch: Litigation - Labor and Employment" (2021 - present)
- “2020 Annual Survey of Virginia Law: Employment Law,” 55 U. Rich. L. Rev. 113 (December 2020) [Author]
- “Analyzing the Virginia Workers’ Compensation Act’s Governance of Employer Non-Compliance,” 51 U. Rich. L. Rev. 193 (November 2016) [Author]
- “A Survey of the History of the Death Penalty in the United States,” 49 U. Rich. L. Rev. 692 (March 2015) [Co-Author]
- “America’s (Not So) Golden Door: Advocating for Awarding Full Workplace Injury Recovery to Undocumented Workers,” 48 U. Rich. L. Rev. 1369 (May 2014) [Author]
- “Is Virginia the New California? Virginia’s New Employment Laws and COVID-19 Standards in the Workplace,” Virginia State Bar, Local Government Section (CLE Webinar, December 15, 2020) (co-presenter)
- “A Refresher on the Bluebook,” Roanoke Valley Paralegals Association (Roanoke, VA, April 2017) (presenter)