John E. Exner, IV is a principal in the Los Angeles, California, office of Jackson Lewis P.C. His practice is primarily dedicated to the representation of businesses and individual clients in a variety of employment-based and family-based immigration matters, as well as workplace compliance.
John is an experienced immigration attorney representing clients in nearly all industries, with a particularly strong focus in the healthcare, medical research, education, engineering, aviation, aerospace, automotive, video game, athletics, telecommunications, fashion, music, and entertainment industries.
John regularly counsels clients on immigration enforcement issues, E-Verify, and I-9 compliance, on both the federal and state level. He has worked with several clients to prepare comprehensive I-9 and E-Verify compliance programs, and has extensive experience responding to I-9 audits, public access file audits, and H-1B site visits.
- Preparing and filing hundreds of nonimmigrant visa petitions, with a particular emphasis on H-1B, H-2A, L-1, E-1, E-2, E-3, O-1, P, and TN petitions
- Guiding international investors, entrepreneurs and multinational companies in the process of establishing U.S. offices and operations for purposes of obtaining E-2 investor visas and L-1 new office visas
- Preparing and filing EB-1 petitions for Multinational Executives, Outstanding Researchers, and individuals of Extraordinary Ability
- Preparing and filing hundreds of Labor Certification (PERM) applications, for EB-3 and EB-2 filings
- Preparing and filing EB-2 Exceptional Ability Schedule A, Type II immigrant petitions, for professionals with exceptional ability in their field
- Working with professional athletes and entertainers on P-1, O-1, and EB-1 petitions
- Preparing and filing hundreds of Schedule A, Type I immigrant petitions for healthcare industry clients, including nurses and physical therapists
Honors and Recognitions
- Chambers USA, “Up and Coming: Immigration” (2021-present)
- Legal 500 USA, “Recommended Attorney” (2021)
- Los Angeles Business Journal, “Top 100 Lawyers” (2023)
Pro Bono and Community Involvement
- AILA Military Assistance Program (MAP)