About this industry
Awareness + approach
Real estate industry employers span a wide range of work environments, requiring a more integrated approach for their labor and employment law needs. Additionally, COVID-19’s aftermath is forcing many industry stakeholders to re-think operations and management both to embrace increased flexibility, including hybrid and remote work, and to ensure enhanced safety and regulatory compliance in a rapidly changing and evolving landscape. With offices across the U.S., we are familiar with the local law nuances and resulting best practices that can be as varied and numerous as our clients’ properties, spaces and holdings. We fully engage with our clients to address their existing and emerging challenges, assist in the industry’s multi-phased recovery, and serve as strategic business partners to better position them for future success.
We serve the full range of established and emerging real estate-related employers and stakeholders, including, among others:
- Brokerage firms
- Commercial + residential property owners + managers
- Investment firms + managers
- Venture capitalists
Our recognized bench strength and experience helps real estate-related employers and stakeholders effectively manage the workforce challenges built into their industry such as the following:
- Counseling on disability, leave, health management and accommodation issues, including, among other things, emotional support, service animal and similar accommodation requests.
- Advising on how to comply with ADA Title III public access regulations, including areas such as conducting surveys of existing facilities and reviewing plans for new construction and/or renovations.
- Designing remote and hybrid workplace policies and procedures.
- Formulating employee benefit programs.
- Providing full-service counseling on employee benefits issues, including, but not limited to, issues arising out of multi-employer pension plans.
- Advising and counseling the entire range of employment law, workplace safety, data breach, privacy, cybersecurity, social media, and other compliance issues.
- Providing custom trainings and best practices for workplace and employment law, effective workplace investigations, workplace respect, implicit bias, DEI and various other topics tailored to the real estate industry.
- Addressing classification issues and claims of misclassification relating to independent contractor status, overtime exempt status and the full gamut of wage + hour audit, litigation and other claims.
- Advising on workforce restructuring, reductions-in-force and WARN Act compliance issues.
- Advising on labor relations issues for both union-free and unionized employers, including areas like compliance with NLRB rulings and guidance applicable to all employers and negotiations with unions such as the SEIU.
- Drafting a wide breadth of contracts and agreements, including, employment contracts, restrictive covenant agreements, independent contractor agreements, commission agreements and other contracts.
- Assisting with employment law due diligence and related issues associated with acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures and other transactions.