Megan A. Van Pelt is an associate in the Indianapolis, Indiana, office of Jackson Lewis P.C. She represents employers in labor and employment litigation matters, including preventative advising and counseling.
Megan represents employers in individual, class, and collective employment actions brought in state and federal court, including cases involving claims of discrimination, harassment, retaliation, wrongful termination, failure to accommodate disabilities, breach of contract, wage and hour and a variety of other statutory and common law claims. In addition, Megan represents employers before state and federal agencies including the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Indiana Civil Rights Commission, the Fort Wayne Metropolitan Human Relations Commission, the South Bend Human Rights Commission, and the Indiana Workers’ Compensation Board. Megan devotes a portion of her practice to defending employers in Fair Credit Reporting Act (“FCRA”) and Fair Labor Standards Act (“FLSA”) class and collective actions. Megan also handles workplace trainings and has experience defending workers’ compensation claims.
While attending law school, Megan served as the executive notes editor of the Indiana Journal of Global Legal Studies, where she managed the publication of Volume 25. She also served as the executive judge coordinator of the Trial Advocacy Board. In addition, Megan was selected as a member of the Order of the Barristers for her commitment to oral advocacy. She was honored as a finalist in the Indiana University Trial Competition and the Indiana State Bar Association Law Student Conclave. Megan finished law school in the top of her class receiving the CALI Excellence for the Future award in Pre-Trial Litigation.
As an undergraduate at Indiana University, Megan was a Division 1 student athlete honored with the 2013 Hoosier Award.
Honors and Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America©, "Ones to Watch: Litigation - Labor and Employment" (2021-present)
- The Best Lawyers in America©, "Ones to Watch: Workers’ Compensation – Employers" (2021-present)
- The Best Lawyers in America©, "Ones to Watch: Insurance Law" (2021-present)
- The Best Lawyers in America©, "Ones to Watch: Best Lawyers: Personal Injury (2021-present)
- “The Evolving Employee Handbook; Tips for Updates in a Post-Vaccine World,” PEO Insider (October 2021) [Co-Author]
- “Workers’ Compensation Laws: Indiana,” Thomas Reuters Practical Law (October 2020) [Co-Author]
- “I Just Lost – So Now What? Options to Address Adverse Orders, Judgments and Verdicts,” Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum (February 2019) [Co-Author]
- “Insurance Impact of Autonomous Vehicles,” Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum (October 2018) [Co-Author]
- “Effective Workplace Communications and Positive Employee Relations,” (Indianapolis, Indiana, July 20, 2023) [Presenter]
- “The Push for Greater Pay Transparency,” Indiana Chamber of Commerce (Indianapolis, IN, May 2, 2023) [Presenter]
- “Hiring and Selection: Do’s and Don’ts,” (Indianapolis, Indiana, April 20, 2023) [Presenter]
- “COVID-19 Issues in the Workplace,” Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum (Indianapolis, IN, December 20, 2022) [Presenter]
- “Mock Trial,” Kosciusko County SHRM (Warsaw, Indiana, October 6, 2022) [Presenter]
- "Religion in the Workplace: Discrimination and Accommodation Under Title VII," Indiana Chamber of Commerce (Indianapolis, IN, May 2022) [Co-Presenter]
- "Common Mistakes that May Lead to Employment Litigation" (March 2022) [Co-Presenter]
- “Managing Mental Conditions Under the ADA and FMLA,” Indiana Chamber of Commerce (Indianapolis, IN, June 2021) [Presenter]
- “I Just Lost – So Now What? Options to Address Adverse Orders, Judgments and Verdicts,” Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum (Indianapolis, IN, February 2019) [Co-Presenter]