Sean C. Herring is a principal, advisory committee member to the firm’s board of directors, and hiring co-leader in the Chicago, Illinois, office of Jackson Lewis P.C. His practice focuses on employment litigation and counseling matters.
With over 18 years of litigation experience, Sean defends employers before federal and state courts and administrative agencies throughout the country. He has extensive experience as a litigator representing a wide range of clients, from major corporations, higher education institutions, national hotel chains, banks, and franchise restaurants to small and local businesses, in employment litigation matters, including claims brought under the ADA and FMLA, and for race, age, religion, national origin, and sex discrimination, sexual harassment, retaliatory discharge, and wage and hour violations. His class action, collective action, and multi-plaintiff experience includes suits by both private parties and by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission in areas of alleged discrimination, harassment, wage and hour violations and hostile work environment claims.
Sean is part of the firm’s Biometric Privacy Litigation group. He has represented employers in several BIPA class action lawsuits and regularly provides counsel to clients regarding the Act’s requirements.
Sean also helps clients reduce the risk of employment litigation. Sean routinely advises clients on a variety of employment issues, including leave management, drafting employment contracts, employee handbooks and personnel policies. Additionally, he conducts Diversity and Inclusion and employee training seminars as well as high level workplace investigations.
Prior to joining Jackson Lewis, Sean was a litigation associate at a large, national law firm headquartered in Chicago and an extern to the honorable Sidney I. Schenkier, Presiding Magistrate Judge of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois. During law school, he served as managing editor for the Loyola Consumer Law Review. He was also a member of the American Bar Association’s National Moot Court Team.
Honors and Recognitions
- Law Bulletin Publishing Company’s Leading Lawyers Division, Emerging Lawyer (2016-2020)
- Illinois Super Lawyers®, "Rising Stars" (2009, 2012-2020)
Pro Bono and Community Involvement
- ABA Judicial Intern Opportunity Program, Advisory Committee
- Former writing tutor for first year law students
- Employment Law Update, National Bar Association – The Commercial Law Section Annual Conference (February 2021) (presenter)
- "How Your Legal Department Can Lead Change: Addressing Diversity in Organizations While Managing Legal Risks," Association of Corporate Counsel (August 2020) (presenter)
- “The Equal Pay Act of 1963, Where Are We Now?,” Society for Human Resources Management (Chicago, IL, April 2019)
- “Social Issues Impacting Corporate America: The Role of Human Resources,” National Association of African-Americans in Human Resources (October 2018)
- “Understanding the Chicago and Cook County Paid Sick Leave Ordinances,” Jackson Lewis Annual Employment Law Symposium (Oak Brook, IL, July 2017) (presenter)
- “Tips and Best Practices for Complying with Transgender Laws,” National Employment Law Council Annual Conference (Denver, Co, April 2017) (presenter)
- “The Difficult Employee: Strategies For Discipline And Discharge,” Paylocity Annual Conference (Chicago, IL, October 2016) (presenter)
- “Employment Law Update – Trending Topics,” Chicago Chamber of Commerce (Chicago, IL, December 2015) (presenter)
- "Conducting Effective Workplace Investigations," Jackson Lewis Annual Employment Symposium (Oakbrook, IL, June 2013) (presenter)