Talley R. Parker is office managing principal of the Dallas, Texas, office of Jackson Lewis P.C.
Talley counsels employers on every aspect of the employment relationship, including policies and handbooks, investigations, discipline and termination decisions, medical leaves of absence and workplace safety concerns. He offers guidance regarding non-discrimination laws and addresses claims of discrimination based upon race, age, gender, disability, national origin, religion and other protected characteristics. Talley also serves as a resource for clients involved with claims of sexual or other discriminatory harassment and provides practical guidance to address and resolve such claims.
Talley assists employers in drafting and promulgating restrictive covenants designed to avoid unfair competition, such as non-compete, non-solicitation and confidentiality agreements. He litigates claims on behalf of employers against former employees (and often their new employers) for breaches of these agreements and also for related claims such as theft of trade secrets, breach of the duty of loyalty and unfair competition. He also advises departing employees (and their new employers) regarding contractual and other legal rights and obligations, and defends challenges to their new employment.
Talley has a wage and hour practice that is focused primarily on defending complex wage and hour class and collective actions arising under the Fair Labor Standards Act and state wage and hour laws. He also works with employers to ensure compliance with the FLSA and state law counterparts.
Prior to joining Jackson Lewis, Talley was an associate in both the labor and employment and the commercial litigation practice groups of an international energy and technology law firm.
While at the University of Arkansas, Talley was a member of Sigma Alpha Epsilon and also served as co-captain of the University of Arkansas Men’s Tennis Team. While attending law school, he was a member of Phi Delta Phi, a recipient of the University of Arkansas School of Law High Academic Achievement Award (given to the student who finishes third in their graduating class), and was an Associate Editor on the Arkansas Law Review.
Honors and Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America©, "Employment Law - Management" (2021-present)
- Texas Super Lawyers®, "Rising Stars" (2014-present)
Pro Bono and Community Involvement
- State Fair of Texas Raffle Committee Member (2012)
- "To the Spoliator Go the Spoils: Arkansas Rejects Independent Tort Cause of Action," Arkansas Law Review (June 2008)
- “Restrictive Covenants: Lessons Learned,” 2018 Texas Half Day Symposium (Dallas, TX, September 2018 (Presenter)
- “Key Employment Issues Part II: When Trouble Arises,” ACC Corporate Counsel University (Philadelphia, PA, June 2018) (Presenter)
- “Ethical Challenges for In-House Counsel: When is That Email Privileged,” Corporate Counsel Conference (Miami, FL, March 2018) (Presenter)
- “Key Employment Issues Part I: Keeping the Business Going,” ACC Corporate Counsel University (New Orleans, LA, June 2017) (Presenter)
- “Employee Handbook Update – 2016,” River Valley Human Resources Association (Russellville, AR, October 2016) (Presenter)
- “Wage and Hour Update: Preparing for Changes to the White Collar Exemption Regulations,” Mansfield Economic Development Corporation (Dallas, TX, April 2016) (Presenter)
- “Employee Handbook Update – 2016,” Northwest Arkansas Human Resources Association, Inc. (Springdale, AR, February 2016) (Presenter)
- “Preparing for Change: Anticipated FLSA Regulatory Changes and Obama Administration Enforcement Trends,” Mid-Cities HR Association (Dallas, TX, January 2016) (Presenter)
- “Pay Discrimination – The New Rules: How to Conduct a Pay Equity Analysis, Ensure it is Privileged and Protect Your Organization,” Mid-Cities HR Association (Dallas, TX, January 2015) (Presenter)
- “Fearless Hiring: Conquering Issues of What to Ask, Pre-Employment Testing, and Background Checks,” Center for Nonprofit Management (Dallas, TX, February 2014) (Presenter)
- “The Latest Update on Retaliation,” Mid-Cities HR Association (Dallas, TX, January 2014) (Presenter)
- “Facing Cancer and Other Catastrophic and Chronic Illnesses in the Workplace: An HR Perspective,” Dallas HR (Dallas, TX, July 2013) (Presenter)
- “My Space or Your Space: Defining the Metes and Bounds of the Interconnected Workplace,” Dallas HR (Dallas, TX, February 2012) (Presenter)
- “Risks of Social Media in the Workplace (and How to Protect Your Company and Employees),” Mid-Cities HR Association (Dallas, TX, January 2012) (Presenter)
summa cum laude
summa cum laude