Jessica L. Liss is the office managing principal of the St. Louis and Kansas City, Missouri, and Overland Park, Kansas, offices of Jackson Lewis, P.C. Based in St. Louis her entire career, Jessica is a seasoned trial attorney with extensive experience litigating all forms of employment matters throughout the Midwest, in federal courts, state courts, and before administrative agencies, arbitrators and mediators.
Jessica is a trusted advisor providing ongoing legal support and counsel on a daily basis to employers, large and small. Skilled at proactive risk management and litigation avoidance, she partners with clients to understand their specific needs. As a former assistant public defender, Jessica is also a fearless advocate when called upon to litigate and try a case before any jury. She excels at internal investigations and workplace training that support a productive workforce, including sexual harassment prevention, EEO and anti-discrimination training, practical strategies for performance management and documentation, workplace safety, disability and leave management. She also counsels employers on employee handbooks and compliant workplace policies.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, Jessica guided employers through the myriad of federal, state and local orders, FFCRA, furloughs, remote work and hybrid work arrangements, and workplace safety policies and procedures for reopening workplaces.
Honors and Recognitions
- Women We Admire, "Top 50 Women Leaders of Missouri" (2023)
- The Best Lawyers in America©, “Employment Law – Management” and “Litigation - Labor and Employment” (2015-present)
- Missouri Super Lawyers® "Rising Stars" (2009) and "Super Lawyers" (2010-2018)
- Women’s Justice Award, “Litigation Practitioner” (2018)
- St. Louis Small Business Monthly, “Wonder Woman” (2018)
- Missouri Lawyers Weekly, “Law Firm Leader” (2015)
- Missouri Lawyers Weekly, "Rising Star"
Pro Bono and Community Involvement
- Wilson School, Trustee, Chair, Endowment Campaign, past chairperson, Tuition Assistance Committee
- Women’s Foundation of Greater St. Louis, Vice President and Chair, Governance Committee
- St. Louis Forum
- “Accommodating Transgender Employees: What Every Employer Needs to Know,” Journal of the Missouri Bar (November/December 2015) [Author]
- “Beware That Your Social Media Policies Do Not Draw the Ire of the National Labor Relations Board,” Journal of the Missouri Bar (November/December 2014) [Author]
- “Advanced Mediator Training Round Table,” United States Arbitration and Mediation (St. Louis, MO, December 7, 2019)
- “Gender Stereotypes,” The Missouri Bar Labor & Employment Law Symposium (Columbia, MO, November 8, 2019)
- “The Dynamic Docket,” The Missouri Bar Annual Labor & Employment Law Symposium (Columbia, MO, October 19, 2018)
- “Employment Litigation,” Best Practices Seminar, United States Arbitration and Mediation (St. Louis, MO, May 11, 2018)
- “What You Should Know about Workplace Harassment in Missouri,” Morning Edition KBIA Radio, https://www.kbia.org/post/wednesday-harassment-workplace#stream/0, (St. Louis, MO, February 21, 2017)
- “Resolving Police Misconduct Cases,” Best Practices Seminar, United States Arbitration and Mediation (St. Louis, MO, March 16, 2016)
- “Transgender Transitions in the Workplace and Beyond,” St. Louis On the Air – St. Louis Public Radio (St. Louis, MO, August 17, 2015)