Mendy Halberstam is a principal and office litigation manager of the Miami, Florida, office of Jackson Lewis P.C and a Florida Bar Board certified specialist in Labor and Employment Law.
Working closely with his clients across a wide range of industries, Mendy has experience representing parties before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and related state and local agencies, and has handled cases involving claims of race, age, disability and sex discrimination, as well as sexual harassment, retaliatory discharge, wage and hour, and non-compete/restrictive covenant issues. Given his civil rights litigation focus and deep commitment to understanding the issues impacting his clients, Mendy provides strong, thoughtful, and tailored defense of existing claims and proactive counsel to reduce the risk of future claims.
Mendy also has litigated cases arising under the Fair Housing Act and has handled numerous public-access and accommodations lawsuits under the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act. Prior to joining Jackson Lewis, Mendy represented various municipalities and police officers in defending complex civil rights lawsuits.
Mendy ranked fourth in his graduating class at Florida International University College of Law. He earned a number of distinctions including Dean's List for each eligible semester, Dean's Honor Society, CALI Excellence for the Future Awards in Legal Research and Writing, Trial and Appellate Advocacy, and Sales of Goods Under the UCC. Mendy also served as a comments editor of the FIU Law Review, supervising a team of associate members. Finally, during the FIU Moot Court Competition, Mendy was awarded the "Runner-Up Best Orator" award by United States District Judges Cecilia Altonaga and K. Michael Moore, future Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals Judge Adalberto Jordan, and future Florida Supreme Court Justice Barbara Lagoa.
Honors and Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America©, "Litigation - Labor and Employment" (2018-present)
- Martindale-Hubbell®, "AV Preeminent® - Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence" (2015-present)
- Florida Super Lawyers®, "Rising Stars" (2013-2019) and "Super Lawyers" (2021-present)
- “You Be The Judge – Comparative Legal Addendum,” Jewish Learning Institute (2010) [Author]
- “Medicine and Morals – Comparative Legal Addendum,” Jewish Learning Institute (2010) [Author]
- “Talmudic Ethics – Comparative Legal Addendum,” Jewish Learning Institute (2009) [Author]