Emily M. Petroski is the office managing principal and litigation manager of the Detroit and Grand Rapids, Michigan, offices of Jackson Lewis P.C.
Emily’s practice focuses on employment litigation and mitigating litigation risk through advice and counsel on all employment and workplace law issues, including disability and leave management. She has litigated employment law cases throughout the nation, successfully defending some of the nation’s largest corporations.
Emily has significant experience advising clients and handling claims under Title VII, the Elliott-Larsen Civil Rights Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Persons with Disabilities Civil Rights Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, as well as Michigan’s Paid Medical Leave Act. Her experience includes handling charges filed with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and Michigan Department of Civil Rights, as well as other comparable administrative agencies throughout the country. Emily also has extensive experience in alternative dispute resolution, including mediation and arbitration.
In addition, Emily specializes in counseling and advising clients on FMLA and ADA compliance, as well as disability and leave management issues. Emily also regularly advises on disciplinary actions, employment policies and mitigating litigation risks. In addition, Emily has extensive appellate litigation experience, and has successfully brought or defended appeals before the Michigan Court of Appeals, the Michigan Supreme Court, and the Sixth Circuit.
Originally from Michigan, Emily returned to practice in Michigan after graduating from law school. During law school Emily was employed by the National Employment Lawyers Association and served as a judicial extern for the Butte County Superior Court. During her undergraduate studies, Emily participated in the Stanford Program for Overseas studies at Oxford University.
Honors and Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America©, “Employment Law – Management” and “Litigation – Labor and Employment” (2021-present)
- Michigan Super Lawyers, “Rising Stars” (2010-2016)
Pro Bono and Community Involvement
- Seedlings Braille Books for Children, Board Member (2004-January 2010)
- “Sixth Circuit Strikes Down Contractually Shortened Limitations Period for Claims Under ADA, ADEA,” National Law Review (January 20, 2021)
- “New Michigan COVID-19 Law Restricts Employment Actions,” National Law Review (October 27, 2020)
- Employment Discrimination Law. ABA Section of Labor and Employment Law, 2007. [Contributing Editor]
- Workplace Privacy: Balancing an Employee’s Right to Privacy with an Employer’s Legitimate Need to Know (2007) [Co-Author]
- “Protecting the Mentally Disabled in the Workforce,” Employee Rights Quarterly 1.1 (2000) [Author]