Donald “Donny” E. English, Jr. is the office managing principal of the Baltimore, Maryland, office of Jackson Lewis P.C. Donny also serves on the firm’s Board of Directors and is co-leader of the firm’s Trials and Appeals practice group. He is an experienced trial attorney having tried numerous jury and bench trials in federal and state court and a member of the Jackson Lewis National Trial Team. He has more than 20 years of experience litigating employment matters and assisting major corporations with internal investigations and in the development and establishment of employment policies, procedures, and training programs.
Donny advises and represents employers in a broad range of employment law matters, including those involving discrimination and harassment, wage and hour, wrongful termination, restrictive covenants, and retaliation claims. He also advises and trains managers and supervisors on preventive litigation practices, focusing on how to comply with applicable laws and regulations, avoid workplace disputes, resolve employee relations problems, and satisfy legitimate employee expectations.
Donny also represents employers in a variety of industries, including automotive, healthcare, higher education, retail, construction, financial services, and technology. Prior to joining Jackson Lewis, Donny was a principal at an international law firm. He served as an officer in the Air Force prior to his legal career and is the co-leader of the Jackson Lewis Veterans Attorney resource group.
Recent Litigation Experience
- Lead trial counsel in a 2022 False Claims Act jury trial in the United States District Court for the District of Maryland. Successfully obtained a defense verdict after a three-week trial.
- Lead trial counsel for plaintiff construction company in a 2021 unfair competition jury trial in the United States District Court for the District of Maryland involving 9 claims and 11 defendants. After a four-week trial, Donny successfully obtained jury verdict on all claims and an award of $7.5 million in compensatory and punitive damages.
- Lead trial counsel in a 2021 class action jury trial in the United States District Court for the District of Maryland. Successfully obtained defense verdict on class claim.
- Lead counsel in 2021 age discrimination arbitration hearing. Successfully obtained defense verdict on all claims after three-day hearing and post-hearing briefs.
- Lead counsel in 2021 temporary restraining order action involving a challenge to client’s vaccine mandate policy. Donny successfully obtained order denying motion for temporary restraining order.
- Successfully obtained an order affirming defense verdict after oral argument before the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit Court in 2019 in a breach of employment agreement dispute.
- Lead trial counsel in a 2018 bench trial in the United States District Court of the Middle District of Pennsylvania in a breach of employment agreement dispute. Successfully obtained judgment for defendant.
- Lead trial counsel in a 2018 jury trial in the United States District Court for the District of Maryland in sexual harassment dispute. Successfully obtained defense verdict.
- Obtained a defense verdict after a two-week trial in federal court for major U.S. automobile manufacturer in a sexual harassment action.
- Defeated motion for temporary restraining order on behalf of employee of a major marketing company in an action to enforce non-compete agreement.
- Obtained a defense verdict after a two-week jury trial in state court as lead counsel for a major U.S. automobile manufacturer in products liability action.
- Obtained favorable ruling as lead counsel for a major communications company in state court bench trial involving an easement dispute.
- Represented major university in a bench trial in federal court bench trial involving a patent dispute.
Honors and Recognitions
- Lexology, "Client Choice Award" (2023)
- The Best Lawyers in America©, “Litigation – Labor and Employment” (2024)
- The Daily Record, “Business & Employment Law Power List” (2022)
- Legal 500 USA, “Recommended Attorney” (2023)
Pro Bono and Community Involvement
- LIGHT Health and Wellness Comprehensive Service, Inc., Board Chair
- Higher Achievement, Inc., Board Member
- “2020: The Year Ahead for Maryland Employers,” Association of Corporate Counsel, Baltimore Chapter Newsletter (April 2020) [Co-Author]
- “Mid-Year Employment Law Update,” Association of Corporate Counsel, Baltimore Chapter Newsletter (September 2019) [Co-Author]
- “Virginia Attempts, Maryland Succeeds, In Limiting Non-Competes for Low Wage Employees,” Jackson Lewis Non-Compete & Trade Secrets Report (June 2019) [Co-Author]
- “Navigating the Changing Landscape of Non-Competes,” Association of Corporate Counsel, Baltimore Chapter Newsletter (April 2019) [Co-Author]
- “Maryland Releases Report to Modernize State Procurement,” M&S Industry Alert (December 13, 2016) [Co-Author]
- “Civil Fines Under False Claims Act Are Subject to Eighth Amendment Review,” 16 No. 11 Envtl. Compliance & Litig. Strategy 3 (January 1, 2001) [Co-Author]
- “Key Employment Law Updates: What Every Corporate Counsel Should Know in 2022,” Baltimore Association of Corporate Counsel (December 16, 2021) (presenter)
- “Sports Organization Legal Challenges and Opportunities Arising from the Covid-19 Pandemic,” Sports Lawyers Association Annual Conference (May 18, 2021) (presenter)
- “Foresight is 2021: The Year Ahead for Employers,” Baltimore Association of Corporate Counsel (December 10, 2020) (presenter)
- “Hot Topics in Employment Law: What Every HR Professional Needs to Know,” National Association of African Americans in Human Resources (November 17, 2020) (presenter)
- “Motions Practice for Employment Cases Filed in Maryland Federal Courts,” United States District Court for the District of Maryland Webinar (October 1, 2020) (presenter)
- “How Your Legal Department Can Lead Change: Addressing Diversity in Organizations While Managing Legal Risks,” National Association of Corporate Counsel Webinar (August 13, 2020) (presenter)
- “Today’s Racial Climate: Addressing Legal and Business Risks,” National Association of Corporate Counsel Webinar (July 1, 2020) (presenter)
- “Online #Posting, Offline Consequences: How Viral Posts Affect the Workplace,” Jackson Lewis Reimagine the Workplace Webinar Series (July 13, 2020) (presenter)
- “Non-Competes and Restrictive Covenants Under Assault,” National Association of Corporate Counsel Webinar (August 21, 2019) (presenter)
- “Non-Competes and Restrictive Covenants: Protecting Your Playbook and Navigating the New Realty,” Jackson Lewis Corporate Counsel Conference (March 11, 2019) (presenter)
- “The Top 10 Employment Law Issues of 2017,” Association of Corporate Counsel, Baltimore Chapter (December 15, 2017) (presenter)
- “The Developing False Claims Act Law,” MACPA Forensic Valuation Conference (April 25, 2016) (presenter)