Guillermo A. Escobedo is a principal and office litigation manager of the San Diego, California, office of Jackson Lewis P.C. His practice focuses on training, counseling, and defending companies in workplace-related legal matters.
Guillermo regularly guides employers on best steps for avoiding employment-law claims. His advice-and-counsel practices include training on harassment prevention, anti-bullying, and effective management tools; reviewing and revising employee handbooks and other company policies; and conducting workplace investigations.
As a litigator, Guillermo’s practice includes defending claims of wrongful termination, discrimination and harassment (gender, race/national origin, disability, religion, and age), retaliation, failure to accommodate, defamation, breach of contract, misappropriation of trade secrets, and related issues. He also has extensive experience defending wage-and-hour claims, including failure to pay overtime wages, off-the-clock work, meal and rest period violations, and misclassification issues.
Guillermo’s practice includes defending employers in single and multi-plaintiff lawsuits, as well as class actions, and claims under the Private Attorney General Act (“PAGA”). He has represented clients in California state court, federal court, arbitrations, administrative hearings (EEOC, California Civil Rights Department, DLSE, and EDD), and mediation.
Guillermo also regularly volunteers at local elementary schools to discuss the importance of higher education and the legal system.
Recent Litigation Experience
- Complete defense verdict in arbitration on claims of age discrimination, age harassment, intentional infliction of emotional distress and defamation
- Motion to Dismiss in federal court on claims of wrongful termination and ERISA violations
- Motion for Summary Judgment in federal court on claims of disability discrimination, failure to accommodate, and failure to prevent discrimination
- Motion for Summary Judgment in state court on discrimination claims based on age, race, and disability
- Demurrer in state court to claims of defamation and invasion of privacy
- Motion for Summary Adjudication in state court on gender and disability claims
- Opposition to Motion for Class Certification in federal court on rest period violations
- Opposition to Motion for Class Certification in federal court on meal and rest period violations
Honors and Recognitions
- San Diego Super Lawyers®, "Super Lawyers" (2014-present)
- Latino Leaders Magazine, "Top Latino Lawyers in 2019"
- San Diego Business Journal, "Leaders in the Law Finalist, Employment Law" (2019)
- San Diego La Raza Lawyers, "Attorney of the Year" (2019)
- Southern California, "Top Lawyers" (2014–2019)
Pro Bono and Community Involvement
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of San Diego, Pro Bono Attorney
- Gompers Preparatory Academy, Speaker
- King Chavez Primary Academy, Speaker
- Managing A California Contingent Workforce – The Other ‘Joint’ Concern In The Workplace,” (Napa, CA, March 2017) (presenter)
- “Wage-And-Hour Laws – Employment Law Roundtable,” San Diego Employers Association (San Diego, CA, January 2017) (presenter)
- “California Dreaming…Or Is It a Nightmare? Doing Business In California” (Chicago, IL, May 2016) (presenter)
- “You’ve Been Sued – Now What? Practical Steps For Running Your Business During the Life of a Lawsuit,” San Diego Employers Association (Carlsbad, CA, August 2016) (presenter)
- “California Employment Law – How To Do Business And Thrive,” 7-11 Franchise Owners Association (Las Vegas, NV, July 2016) (presenter)
- “The Right Things To Do To Avoid A Wrongful Termination Lawsuit” (San Diego, CA, October 2015) (presenter)
- “Employment Law In The Hospitality Industry – A Roundtable Discussion” (San Antonio, TX, May 2015) (presenter)
- “Immigration Updates In The Employment Arena – California Law” (San Diego, CA, April 2015) (presenter)
- “The ABC’s For College,” Juarez Lincoln Elementary School (Chula Vista, CA, February 2015) (presenter)
- “Legal Success: The Latino Experience,” SDLRA’s Professional Advancement Committee, CLE (San Diego, CA, September 2014) (presenter)
- “Neighbor Law School – Employment Law Seminar,” Earl B. Gilliam Association (San Diego, CA, June 2013) (panelist)