Kristina H. Vaquera is the office managing principal and office litigation manager of the Norfolk, Virginia, office of Jackson Lewis P.C. Her practice focuses exclusively on labor and employment counseling and litigation.
Kristina represents employers in federal and state court lawsuits and agency investigations and charges covering a wide range of statutes and subjects, including anti-discrimination and civil rights laws, wrongful termination claims, disability accommodation and access, wage and hour laws, covenants not to compete, leave of absence claims, negligent hire/retention, and breaches of fiduciary duty and contract, as well as traditional labor issues, including bargaining and negotiations. Kristina has litigated class and collective actions, including FLSA, FCRA, and discrimination class actions. She also represents clients in grievances, mediations, arbitrations, and charges before various national and state entities.
As part of Kristina’s counseling practice, she provides daily counseling and training to management to help employers avoid litigation. She assists clients with employment agreements, handbooks, background checks and drug testing issues, and disciplinary action. She represents employers before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, National Labor Relations Board, Department of Labor, and numerous state agencies, such as the Virginia Employment Commission, Virginia Department of Labor and Industry, Virginia Department of Housing Discrimination, and Virginia Worker’s Compensation Commission.
Kristina speaks extensively on various employment topics, including to the Virginia and Hampton Roads Society of Human Resource Managers, Virginia State Bar Labor and Employment Section, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Virginia Employment Commission, International Professional Managers Association, Virginia Government Contract Attorneys Association, Society of Designers and Architects, local chambers of commerce, Hampton Roads Industrial Liaison Group, PINK! Women Business Owners Conference, Public Media Business Association, the American Council of Engineering Companies, and the Retail Association of Hampton Roads. She lives in Hampton Roads with her family.
Honors and Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America©, “Employment Law – Management” (2020-present)
- Martindale-Hubbell®, “AV Preeminent® - Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence” (2012-present)
- Virginia Super Lawyers®, “Rising Stars” (2007, 2010-2013) and “Super Lawyers” (2014-present)
- Virginia Lawyers Weekly, Influential Women of Law (2020)
- Virginia’s Inside Business, “Top 40 under 40” professionals (2003)
- Virginia Legal Elite: Young Lawyer (2009)
Pro Bono and Community Involvement
- Girl Scouts of the USA
- Kappa Kappa Gamma Alumnae Association
- St. Matthew’s School – President, Parent Teacher Guild; Room Parent Coordinator
- Virginia Employer’s Guide to Hiring and Firing. NA: 2007. [Co-Author]
- The Developing Labor Law. NA: 2000. [Contributing Editor]