About this practice
Employers must contend with complex new regulations while facing increased scrutiny and an unprecedented threat of government enforcement actions and potential criminal proceedings at both the state and federal levels.
Our team of attorneys — which includes former federal and state prosecutors and enforcement attorneys from the Department of Justice, Department of Homeland Security, Department of Labor and other government agencies — understands the risks employers face on a daily basis and have the experience necessary to guide clients through virtually any type of investigation or enforcement action.
In all matters, we understand the level of preparation and attention to detail that is required to provide our clients with the very best representation. As an integral part of our practice, our attorneys are skilled at conducting sensitive internal investigations for clients either in anticipation of, or parallel to, government probes, or into suspected illegal or questionable conduct by employees, contractors or related parties. Finally, working closely with our Corporate Governance practice group, we pride ourselves on the ability to think preventively in order to help clients manage risk, improve compliance efforts, defend qui tam/whistleblower actions and respond to allegations of misconduct before a crisis ensues.
To the extent that criminal or investigative matters require resources outside the United States, we work closely with our firm‘s International Employment practice group and partner with firms in our international L&E Global network.
Building on the firm’s vast experience in workplace law compliance counseling, our White Collar and Government Enforcement practice group provides advice to corporations, institutions, business executives and other professionals. We have experience in criminal and enforcement matters related to workplace law matters, such as:
- Immigration and worksite enforcement actions;
- Health care fraud investigations;
- Employee embezzlement and internal fraud matters;
- Tax matters; and
- Theft of intellectual property and trade secrets.
Our attorneys are well-versed in the defense of virtually any type of white collar criminal action that may be brought against a corporation or individual client.
In addition, we advise clients on:
- Antitrust matters;
- Fraud charges (including finance, government contracts, mail and wire fraud);
- Professional license and disciplinary proceedings;
- Securities violations and financial crime investigations, money laundering, racketeering, bribery and corruption (including under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act) and kickback claims;
- Environmental enforcement; and
- Other alleged violations of federal and state law.
We also have experience with international extradition proceedings and in conducting internal investigations globally.